This message is from: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Having birds to solve the tick problem sounds great. Do the ticks ever get on the birds? Just curious.
Bonnie in CA
----- Original Message ----- From: "kate charboneau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 4:53 AM
Subject: RE: ticks

This message is from: "kate charboneau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I know you were asking about chemical repellents, but I have to put a
plug in for chickens or ducks. We live on 26 acres surrounded by 100's
of acres of state forest which = tick paradise. Since I got my birds,
it's a surprize to find a tick on a horse coming in from pasture. We
have to pick like crazy when coming in from trail drives, the little
beasties literally are swarming up the legs and tails, you can easily
pick over a dozen off each horse, so this tells me my home really is a
"tick free zone". The breed of bird does matter. Swedish ducks are
homebodies & therefore don't go out bugging beyond the actual barnyard;
Runners roam the whole acreage & surrounding woods but are nervous & hard
to live with; my favorites are the Welsh Harlequins, they roam the whole
acreage & surrounding woods, and are pleasant & easy to live with. We
also looked into guineas, but hubby works nights/sleeps days so the noise
factor made them a no-no for us. A friend used to have turkeys and
peafowl roaming her place; no ticks there either, but the turkeys got
aggressive and scary for friends who would visit, and they would peck my
car, grrrr.