This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> I would like to know if anyone uses their fjords to drag their  arenas?

I have in the past used my old Fjord mare to pull a light home-built
harrow (known as a planker) around in our "arena".  More often, I had
my standard donkey pull it!  However, that "arena" was a fenced area
of pasture, with packed footing; the job of the planker was to flatten
and spread out the gopher mounds, horse piles, etc.

> I also need to know how I go about making a drag that I can attach to the
> harness.  I'm not clever enough to figure this out, but I know my husband
> can
> build whatever I need if I give him specifics.  Can I buy a small  (four feet
> wide) harrow somewhere?
>
> Lisa Lucidi

We also had a 4'-wide "blanket harrow", which we bought.  Visualize a
chunk of chain-length fence "on steroids"---with the "wire" being 1/4"
rod, and with 6" holes in the mesh.  At the point of each diamond,
there was a tooth attached, at a front/back angle.  One could adjust
how aggressive the thing was, depending on how one pulled it.  For
light smoothing, it was used on its back, with the teeth in the air.
For medium, one used it with the teeth pointing down and to the rear;
for more serious work, one hauled it from the other end, so the teeth
pointed down and to the front.  I never tried pulling that one with an
equine; we mostly used it behind our little Toyota pickup.

I've also heard of "alternative harrows" made from shipping pallets,
or from pieces of cattle panel mesh or chain link fence weighted down
with heavy wooden fenceposts (attached on the top).

To attach an equine, one attaches the ends of a chain to two points of
the harrow (for instance eye bolts in the front corners of the
structure of the planker).  The chain should be at least a foot longer
than the distance between the attachment points, i.e. you want it to V
forward.  At the midpoint of the chain, put a heavy snap, repair link,
or whatever---this is where your singletree should attach (not the
light one from a cart, but a real draft singletree).  The traces on
your harness then attach to the ends of the singletree.  You will
probably need trace extenders (medium-weight nylon rope will do), as
you don't want the horse to bump his heels on the singletree when
pulling.

You will also want reins long enough that you can drive from behind
the harrow.  If you must use regular reins, stay to the inside.  DO
NOT get between the horse and the harrow, or between the harrow and
the fence!!!!  The book that I got the planker design out of showed
the guy riding, i.e.  standing on it, but that tends to cause you to
hang on the horse's mouth, for balance---not a good idea.

For light pulling, I have done it with breast collar harness, with the
traces run thru the shaft tugs on the harness saddle---because that
was all that I had for the donkey.  A collar harness is better
engineered to take the forces of pulling a harrow, and allows the
animal to use its power better.

But, yes, it is good training for you and the equine!

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon