This message is from: Emily Wigley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The best helmet is the one that fits you best! Try it on, and keep looking until you find The One that you will wear every time because it is comfy. Charles Owen helmets are fabulously comfy to me, and they make models to fit oval and round skulls, which is awfully nice. The price tag is frightening ($200and up), however. I'm curently riding in an adjustable Aegis, which I love, and it was $39. I used to travel with a helmet rep and learned at the time ('90's) to fit helmets. If it is ASTM/SEI certified FOR RIDING HORSES it is a safe helmet. Please, do not ride a horse in a bike helmet. Individual sport helmets are tested for the individual sports and their associated falls. I know, it feels like a house full of helmets sometimes between the bike, horse, motorcycle, full face bicycle for downhill, and ski helmets, but it all makes sense, as they all have their purpose.

And while we're on the subject, please don't ever wear a helmet that you found/purchased used. They are "one fall" safety helmets, meaning they must be replaced after an impact/fall. If you helmet is more than 5 years old, is stored in a hot environment (a car in the summer), or has sustained an impact, it is time for a new one. A lot cheaper, as mentioned by others, than a head injury, no matter if you go for the $29 trainer model offered at many rural fire stations, or the $495 model the big guys wear on their jumpers in the international show arena.

Yours in safe riding,
Emily