This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> It appears that you have either experienced or been told about mares
> acting badly when in heat. Since we got into the Fjord breed over 15
> years ago now, this issue has basically been a non-issue. Not to say
> that NO Fjord mare does not have hormonal moments, but that for the
> most part, the " beast-on-wheels " when in season mares left us when
> every other breed walked down our driveway.

I found this topic to be very interesting.  My first horse, my old
Fjord mare, Nansy, was basically the same animal every day---no hints
as to when she was in heat.  I had figured that it was a part of her
being a "poor breeder"---Jim and Nancy Clow had only managed to get
one foal from her in many years of trying, via different methods, with
different stallions, etc (she was 17 when I bought her).  However,
since Nansy was usually open, that meant that she got a lot of "time
and mileage", hence became the beginner's horse that I needed.  Yes,
she could be an "opinionated old bat" (and we told her so!) on
occasion, but it usually took the form of her telling us, "No, idiot,
that's not the way to do that!", and she was usually right.

My only other experience with female equines was/is with my pinto
jenny, Shadow.  When in heat, she'll mouthe, wink, squeal at the Fjord
geldings or at me, refuse to do things on general principles, and
generally earn her nickname of Brat.  Shadow got so bad that, around
age 5, her vet put her on OvaBan, to keep her from coming in heat;
that allowed her to keep her mind on her training, vs her body.  Nansy
was a refreshing change from that attitude!  I'm glad to hear that
it's more widespread in Fjords.

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon