This message is from: Robin Churchill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Obviously, with living in Florida,  if our fjords are
ever going to work, they have to do it in the heat but
I try to be extremely careful with them.  I only work
them in the morning or evening, hose them before and
after working and hydrate with some gatorade before
and gatorade with summer games electrolytes added
after work.  I also give lots of breaks while working.
 With this approach, they have become quite fit and
tolerate the work without difficulty.  When my gelding
first arrived from Nova Scotia, the heat really
affected him but after spending 3 years in southwest
Florida (in the summer otherwise known as hell), he
does fine. That being said,  Valerie's point is
well-taken as our vet told me about a quarter horse
last week that had to be euthanized after foundering
from being worked excessively in the heat.

I think a lot of horse trailers especially in the more
northern areas lack sufficient ventilation for hot
weather.  My first horse trailer came from Indiana and
was a great trailer except not enough ventilation for
this climate which really restricted when I could
trailer.  I got rid of it and got one with as much
ventilation as I could put in and an insulated roof
and have no problems trailering even when it is quite
hot.

Robin in southwest hot, humid, unseasonably dry
Florida