This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> I hope you don't mean you're dumping those black walnuts in the REAL DUMP but
> just dumping into something else to sell or give away.  Aren't they the good
> ones to eat?  Cheryl G. Beck

Nope---English walnuts are the good ones.  Black walnuts come in a
shell so tough that, by the time you've whacked it hard enough to
crack the shell, you've pulverized the nutmeat.  When we were building
our house, numerous loaded concrete transit mixers ran over nuts on
the driveway, and all they did was push the whole nuts down into the
packed gravel.  We call them "organic rocks"!  If we dump them
somewhere else on the property, we get fat "digger squirrels" (don't
need to encourage them!) and/or black walnut tree sprouts (ditto).
Plus, black walnuts come in a thick "wrapper" that quickly rots into a
disgusting, staining goo, so I want them gone out of my yard, ASAP.
The "gleaners" for the local food pantry won't touch them.

In the summer, it's a huge, lovely shade tree, or it would have been
long-gone....

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon