This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

What an interesting day!!  We loaded up Joe and Della early this  morning and
drove a few hours south to visit with some friends.  It's  always a fun time
- they raise chickens, and pigs, and fjords, but this time we  went with a
specific purpose:  to harness up the ponies  Joe has some  fairly solid driving
experience in his past, but my one attempt to drive him  previously did not
turn out too well.  He became flustered and agitated and  the trainer I was
working with advised me to bail out (he was driving).   Della Ree has never
been
harnessed before.

I won't go into all the details, but I was simply amazed at these  guys!
Della was completely unfazed by anything (except the recently gelded  stud who
was extremely interested in her).  The farm could be quite scarey  to some
horses - it is full of large pieces of equipment, lots of animals  (including a
LOUD large donkey), many other fjords, and just lots of new  stuff).  She got
harnessed and ground driven like she had done it 100 times  before.  We hitched
Della and Joe up together, and they were a bit awkward  at first trying to
figure out how to coordinate their bodies, but in less than  10 minutes, they
were
pulling mostly in sync and doing a terrific job.   Della is a follower, and
shorter than Joe, so she took some encouragement to  keep pulling her share of
the weight.  And a couple of times Joe decided it  was time to stop working so
hard and took some convincing that we were not  done.  Gene let each of us
take a few turns on the reins to get the feel  (he has a set of second reins
that allowed him to take control if we got off  track), and we all had a
wonderful time.

Mostly, I am just amazed at how naturally Della took to driving, and how
breathtakingly beautiful Joe is when he is working.  Della worked up a  heavy
sweat and both ponies were tired, and quite relieved to rest in the  trailer on
the way home.

Joe is probably a bit more than I would want to tackle driving alone, but
for the first time ever I felt the draw of driving.  I can hardly wait for  my
next lesson!

Kate
and Joe (who CAN pull, but just doesn't think he should)
and Della (who seems to do everything with good  will)