This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "jen frame" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I was wondering if you add supplements to your Fjord's feed?  [...]
> Since Fjords manage to pull calories out of thin air, do they also
> pulls nutrients out of thin air and therefore do not require
> supplementation? Or, since they don't eat much, do they tend to
> require supplemntal vits and mins ?  If so, which do you use?

Somewhere I read/heard that Norwegian Fjords "stay fat on sticks and
seaweed".  The thing is, there's a lot of nutrition in seaweed!  ;-)

I've always supplemented my donkey and Fjords with a general vitamin
and mineral product, "for insurance", because the "low calorie" hays I
was using were close to straw in their nutritional profile.  When we
lived in California (San Francisco Peninsula), I used Sho-Glo.  When
we moved to SW Oregon, I was advised that soils (hence forages) in
this area were deficient in selenium, so to be sure that one's
supplement contained that.  The recommended product was Horse Guard,
which I continue to use.  I've noticed an improvement in hoof quality
and tail growth since we moved here, but can't say if it's the
supplement, the soils, the hay, or what.

At one point (in CA), a vet had me put my old Fjord mare on Platinum
Performance (which has a lot of flaxseed in it).  That certainly
improved her hoof and tail growth, but the price matches the name....

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon