This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

ok, so a couple of weeks ago, oz was found on a saturday morning happily
munching on some hay stored in the barn by the school horses. it was still warm
enough that the barn doors were open at night. i had assumed that i didn't hook
the gate on his pasture well enough the night before when i left.

ha. yesterday i went to ride after work, and by the time i got ready to go
outside and get him, it was dark. i always take my flashlight so i don't fall
into a snowbank, and when i aimed it where he usually is standing......what?
the
gate is open. there are several adjoining pastures next to his, and when i
starting shining the light along the fence, there he was. first he was pawing
at
some snow, and then he leisurely wandered into another pasture where there
was a round bale....hmmm, dinner, course two.

i am thinking the boy has learned to open the gate. it's a metal panel gate,
with a chain attached that goes around the post and then comes back to hook
into the gate. i am not sure if anyone has seen them, they are probably
common....there's a metal plate at the edge of the upright with an L shaped
notch. the
chain goes into the notch, and is held in place by the link of the next
chain, which won't go through. i suspect he and his prehensile nose have been
playing with it and discovered he can let himself out for a free buffet.

it is now closed with a clip and wrapped twice around. i don't think he'd go
much farther than the first hay bale he found, but me thinks i prefer the
mental security of knowing where he is all night. he and about a half dozen
others
are on outside board, he has a shelter and a heated bucket. we are thinking
he may get his own round bale for a while, since it's been so cold and he seems
to be a little thinner than i would like for the winter.

on a different breed note......there is now a lovely friesian gelding
boarding there, the only other horse with a forelock as long as ozzie's. the
woman
offered me a ride on him last weekend, and i begged off since he'd only been
there a few days. however, my instructor's 11 year old daughter rode him, so
next
time she's around, i will take her up on the offer. he's got awesome gaits
and a wonderfully calm demeanor. if anyone is interested, he can be seen at
brecdressage.com, look under sales and WOPKE.......

laurie and oz, who really does think the bale is greener on the other side of
the fence.