This message is from: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

They have rosemaling classes at the Vesterheim museum in Decorah, Iowa, near where I live and many rosemalers practice in the local area.

I have studied rosemaling design concepts a little, not so much to do the painted version, but to adapt these designs to my leather work. I think it is one of those skills that is relatively easy and fun to learn the basics ... but one that can take a lifetime to master.

There are several different "flavors" of rosemaling. Some are more formal and symmetrical and others more free flowing and asymmetrical. Even the freer styles aren't "anything goes" however. There are definite design principles for creating artful flow lines and basic forms typical of the particular style you've chosen.

As for me, I think I'd want to take a class and practice a lot before starting an heirloom project.

Online resources:

Vesterheim: http://vesterheim.org/index.php

Lien Rosemalerverksted: http://www.rosemaling.com/Rosemaling1/ Gorgeous work!

Norwegian Folk Museum: http://www.norskfolke.museum.no/ (click on the British flag to see the mostly English version)

Also see Phil Odden and Else Bigton's wood carvings -- their work would translate well to painted rosamaling.

Joanne McVey is a master. Her book _Rosemaling Heirlooms of Tomorrow_ is a good book to study, especially for the Telemark style of rosemaling.

DeeAnna

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
How hard is it to learn rosemaling?