This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Oh, I can out-do that!

A couple years ago I was riding my big gelding Bjorken through my neighbors' woods with about 10 inches snow on the ground. When I had mounted I had noticed that my winter boots were VERY tight in the stirrups and made a note to remember that when I dismounted. Well, Bjorken spooked and jumped sideways in the woods (maybe a moose?) and I wound up hanging off to the side. I decided I would just let myself drop into the soft snow (Bjorken was standing still at that time,) which I did, but my off side foot remained stuck in the stirrup (English style) and there I hung, sitting on the ground in the snow with my foot up on the saddle caught in the stirrup. I still had the reins, and Bjorken was stopped. I said WHOA! Stand! and he looked at me as if to ask what I was doing down there in the snow, then put his head down in the snow to find some grass to eat while I unlaced my boot to remove my foot from the stirrup! Finally loose, I put my boot back on and remounted, Thinking what COULD have happened had Bjorken taken off in a run. Thank God for these wonderful Fjords!

Jean in Fairbanks, Alaska, cold again at -20 this morning.

All of a sudden, his body felt like a kernel of popcorn and he  gave a spook
that sent me onto the pommel of the endurance saddle that I have been demo-ing.
Be assured, I fought hard for the save, but through a weird  chain of events,
I ended up with my entire body on resting on the length  of his neck with my
arms and legs wrapped around it like a tree branch.  It  felt like I hung
there for about seven months while he CONTINUED TO GRAZE. At this point, Kat is
watching with something between horror and hilarity, but  was helpless to
intervene. After an interminable period, I simply plopped off into the grass like a newly laid egg, at which Monny looked over as if to say, "Oh. There you
are."