This message is from: "Debby Stai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I ride my fjords, but have a small pony I drive...he actually can turn his
head around and look at me when I'm driving him, if I allow it....I lunged and
lunged and ground drove this guy for so long before he ever got hooked up to
anything, and of course, lunging them, they obviously can see you....I
remember after we'd driven him for a few years, I was having issues with
getting him to bend one direction, a feat I think much easier if  you're
undersaddle, at least for me "the amatuer"....and him only being 11hands, I'm
not a big person, but wasn't real confident to sit on him bareback and he
never having anyone on his back...my daughter though, brave as she is....did
get on him...we'd put a reg. riding bridle on him and he was most worried...so
we put his driving bridle on, with blinkers, and presto, he was a happy
camper...so she was able to work with him in the roundpen and bend him, soften
him both sides....So, for me, just ground driving and lunging and ground
driving, over and over and over....soft voice, firm voice, and lots of "good
boy"....Course, he's a poopoo butt to take off property to drive...but thats
my fault  as I don't do it.  I don't show him, I don't plan on showing him,
he's a pet a big pet....If I had one I wanted to show or compete or just haul
to fun places to drive, I'd be out there getting lessons and with a
trainer....I think this driving and riding is serious stuff.  We want to do it
right, do right by the horses, we put them into these situations and its up to
us to do it right, so we don't get hurt and they don't get hurt....I just
can't imagine a horse or pony hooked up to a cart and taking off, the driver
thrown and the pony is out of control, the panic they must feel....Its not
fair to do that to them, to yourself or any passengers you might have with you
or other riders/drivers, spectators....I know "freaky" things happen, but I
don't think a horse would just do this stuff on his own if really given the
choice...So, we need to know what we are doing and get the best help we can,
and keep all safe, as possible...
Debby in Tx