This message is from: "Steve Sessoms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

My Anjee got a bad cut on the outside of her pastern, but it could have been a
lot worse. Monday morning all was well. When they were all done with their hay I
went out to goof off with the ponies and when they gathered around me I looked
down and it looked like someone had taken a house painting brush full of red
paint and splashed Anjee with it from the outside pastern down the ground! I ran
water on it and found a clean inch long deep and gaping wound. Then called Dr.
Mark to come out. He cleaned it, knocked her out, and rummaged around
determining what damage was done. He found her joint sheath and tendons
untouched and then stitched her up, inside and out. 3 days of antibiotic shots
and a week of bandaging and no wetness is all he prescribed, no pond and running
with her buds in the big pasture. Stitches out in 3-4 weeks. So I assume she
can't go riding for a minimum of 4 weeks. She is so good. She is taking her
incarceration well. No fretting or anything, just pestering the devil out of me
every time I go down to sit with her.
I quickly found what did it - an old t-post in the pond. I had tried to get it
out of the ground many times. I didn't know it but the horses had broken it off
near the ground which allowed Anjee to step over and beside it and its rusted
edge sliced her like a knife. Before the drought it was deep in water and I just
couldn't get it out.  I still can't get it out of the wet ground, suction or
something going on, but I piled logs around it to keep the horses away from it
until Steve can deal with it. He can get the implement off the tractor and pull
it out I hope.
Lesson learned the hard way and at dear Anjee's expense - pull those old t-posts
out no matter how difficult!
~ Meredith Sessoms ~
Solly ~ Dorina ~ Shaggy ~ Anjee ~ Arlo ~ Pepper, the black one