This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> we recently had an incident at the barn with one of the mares and a t-post.
> the mare, oreo, is oz's "girlfriend", who is turned out in an adjoining
> pasture and they will stand in the corner where the fences meet and make eyes
> at
> each other.

http://livinginoz.smugmug.com/photos/163608455-S.jpg

they are both very quiet, and oreo is not alpha. for a while she was pastured
with another mare, who kept challenging her, to the point where instead of
fighting back, poor oreo tried to jump the fence. she caught herself in the
side, just behind where the girth would sit, and ripped a large hole. if not
for
her ribs, she probably would have impaled herself. she also must have done the
splits as she landed, because she was very swollen on the inside of her back
leg and could barely walk for quite some time.

luckily the vets could get there right away and treated her. the stitches
kept pulling open and for some time it was thought she would not heal and would
have to be put down. she's a tough little cookie (pun intended) and she finally
got better. she is still not 100%, i think she very much needs a chiropractor
(i think he was going to be there last week) but she is being ridden by the
girls again. and is back next to oz.

i see in the   photo that there is a bare topped post YIKES! i don't have
control over the fencing where he is, however, the location of that post is
such
that i don't think either of them could catch themselves on it. and she's in a
different turnout now. neither she, nor oz, are in with anyone else, since
they both have food issues, so they are not inclined to move fast enough to
charge the fence........

laurie