This message is from: kate charboneau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thank you for this Excellent post!  I really appreciate the education specific
to Fjords I get on this list.  I had noticed my Fred's dark spot with a single
hair on his jaw; I was always just a bit uneasy about this "odd" marking.  Now
I can reframe my thinking on that.  Thanks.

We have Clydes that we completely adore.  But due to size they are really more
my hubby's.  It's just miserable for me to groom & harness them alone.  They
really are a better, more fully able draft than my Fjord.  But I eagerly
choose my Fjord over them due to height.  He is becoming such a nice pleasure
driving horse; he fits my driving needs to a T.

I have a wonderful AQHA that is teaching me sooooo much about riding.  He's
handing me riding confidence with a big red bow on top.  I bought him to bring
my confidence and skills up to speed so I'd  be a better partner for my Fjord.
I will forever be grateful to him.  But I choose my Fjord for his drafty
temperment, his easy height, and his ability to be both my carriage horse and
my riding horse.

The Norwegians> some time ago were asked to present a picture representing
what they> believed to be the true Fjord horse. The picture they presented was
a photo> circ 1890 by K.A. Aamin. It shows Njal #166 and Kare #189 two
stallions of> the time. This photo was presented in Norway during the 1996
International> Fjord Horse Judges Seminar. Jean was talking about tracing back
the lineage> on white duns to specific Fjords of the past. If you go out and
look at your> Fjords facial markings you may see a small brown marking on the
jaw,> sometimes with a single hair coming from it. This is called a Njal
marking> tracing back to the stallion Njal mentioned above. The Fjord> of
today is more balanced proportionally and has retained its most important>
characteristic---temperament!> There are folks who wish to change the Fjord
for something better?> I am supportive of keeping the Fjord the way it is.>
Example--> If you changed the Fjord to only a driving horse it would loose.>
There are better driving horses out there!> If you changed the Fjord to only a
riding horse it would loose.> There are better riding horses out there!> If
you changed the Fjord to only a draft horse it would loose.> There are better
draft horses out there> > What makes the Fjord absolutely unique is its
wonderful temperament combined> with the versatility of all three separate
disciplines. > Let us keep it the way it is, honoring the traditional body
types and> colors!