This message is from: "ruth bushnell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This message is from: Jean Ernest
In looking up the pedigrees of all the white duns in the NFHR I noticed that
every one of them traced back (to two) >>>>>Also very interesting is the
increasing popularity of the white and yellow duns....

Just a comment on the changing ideas. Jean THAT IS A VERY interesting
connection for color you point out, and an astute observationon trends from a
longtime Fjord person, thanks Jean.>>>I am not a color genetics evolutionary
expert, Jamie's the pro in that department, but as a "population genetics"
scholar I believe it is a very good thing that we have white Fjords
down to this day, same as the inherited Njal mark. Both inheritable occurences
are visual marker indications for the authenticity of having two original
lineage
bloodlines remaining in the breed. There are no doubt more, but none we can
identify without DNA mapping. Maintaining original bloodlines on down
through the Fjord genome is vital toward preserving genetic purity, and
avoiding genetic drift. It would be a great loss if the breed no longer had
the white marker, or the Njal marker, because that would mean that both of
those particular bloodlines were gone from the gene pool, never to be
recaptured, and all the wonderful other characteristics that went along with
them. By the same token, if either of those markers became overly prevalent,
that would indicate they were crowding out other unidentifiable bloodlines,
through artificial selection. (diminished genetic diversity) Since we don't yet
have DNA mapping in the Fjord genome, we are fortunate to have at least two
visual markers for bloodlines that we can observe. Yes, interesting stuff, Jean.

Ruthie, nw mt US