-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Sarah Clarke
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2008 6:32 PM
To: Fjord List
Subject: mare lost a baby

This message is from: Sarah Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This morning we found Nika's 5 week old foal lying next to the fence with a
broken neck.  It looks as if maybe he ran, hit a slick spot and fell.  We
are heart broken and so is she.  But I need advice on the best way to handle
Nika's milk.  Is it best to let it dry up naturally or should I milk off a
little to relieve the pressure?  I have heard both ways, but want to hear
from someone who has tried it.  this is really different from weaning a foal
because at 5 weeks she was just hitting the peak of milk production.