This message is from: Mark McGinley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 15:16:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Gina Larson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: round pen advice?

This message is from: Gina Larson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Hi Everyone!

I am so happy spring is finally here, and with a
couple of youngsters at the farm that my horses and I
live on (including my Fjern) we are finding ourselves
in dire need of a round pen.  ....

Gina
menominee, MI

Hi Gina,

I had both fixed wood and portable metal panels for round pens at my farm and
there are benefits of both (and negatives as well). The wood was nice and
looked good but it certainly wasn't safer than the metal as far as if they
broke a board.  Although I never had a Fjord hit the "wall", one of my boarders
had her horse (non-Fjord) try to climb out of the metal panel pen and bent up
that pipe panel real good.  If this was a wood round pen there might have been
some stitches involved.

I had the wood one outside and used the metal one in the arena in the winter.
If you put an 8' gate on the wood one you can get a tractor in to work up the
footing.  I also used the metal panel gate to tie to when I needed a spot.

Metal needs no painting but does rust or get bent.  Wood ones can be repaired
easily.  Wood is permanent, metal can be moved.  I really liked free longing in
a 60' pen for exercise.

Hope this helps,

Mark McGinley
Washburn, WI