This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-- I think our lists and magazine are completely appropriate places for
"this sort of thing".

-- My interpretation of the discussion on horses not wanting to please
people was more from a natural animal behavior.  With some animals,  primates
or
dogs for example, you will see them actively submitting or  seeking to appease
or please other members of the pack or tribe.  That is  NOT typical behavior in
horses - horses interact with each other by applying  pressure until the
object submits or returns the challenge.  I don't think  the author's point was
that we can't raise, teach or influence our horses to  where they want to
please
us, and he does reference clicker training as an  example.  It's that
negative reinforcement is a highly effective,  productive, and "natural" way to
work
with herd animals.  Your horse does  not respond to the whip because they want
to please you - they respond because  they want to avoid the whip.  Your
horse does not innately turn to the  right to please you - they turn to avoid
the
pressure from the bit or halter.  It works pretty well, but most people don't
like to think of it as  negative reinforcement.

-- On some of the few occasions where I have been driving with highly
experienced drivers, they could have - for all practical purposes - been
driving
bitless.  The lines, the bridle, the bit were there solely as  back-up.  The
actual drive was almost entirely voice managed.  We've  talked before about the
fact that there is no bit/bridle/rein/line combination  in the world that can
stop a horse who is determined to go, so to some extent  every time we get on
or behind a horse we are taking a significant chance  and risk.  I don't have a
problem with people who are confident enough to  take bigger chances than me.

-- I can't abide the Parelli machine, but I respect the philosophy and
approach to working with horses.  And maybe one day I'll have a partnership
with
my horse where I am comfortable riding out without a bridle.  But I'm  okay
with the fact that for now, if I want to ride, it's going to take some
"back-up"
to help me be confident enough (a saddle, a bridle, a bit, and a  helmet!!).

Kate