This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> Reading "Natural Horsemanship Explained" by Dr. Robert Miller, and thought
> this really applied in many ways to our Fjords - at least to mine.  This
> section was talking about why donkeys are less flighty than the average
> horse.
>
> "It evolved in steep, arid terrain.  Blind flight, so effective for  the
> plains dwelling horse, could be fatal here.  Donkeys, therefore, make
> decisions
> rather than blindly fleeing.

Another component is the relative availability of food and water in
the various habitats.  Most horses evolved on rich plains; if they ran
away from every suspected predator, it was no big deal---the calories
and sweat that they expended could be easily replaced.  Donkeys were
on more barren lands, with fewer sources of water, so a strategy that
conserved calories and sweat had survival value.  Likewise, it takes
energy to paw thru snow for buried grass, or eat (hence melt) snow for
water; the Fjords that ran at the drop of a snowflake probably had
trouble finding enough replacement calories to make it thru the
winter.  This also favored their tendency to store every spare calorie
for later use....

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon