This message is from: "kngould" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sounds like a great ride, Lee. I'll have to try your method with my less brave Friesian...Oh, wait a minute! I CAN'T get off and on him in the field, he's too tall! Just one more reason why I LOVE my Fjords.
Kim
To: <fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 7:13 AM
Subject: The Power of Grass

Iâ?Tve been hesitant to ride my mare, Vivi, alone on our property. She isnâ?Tt
always brave and does depend on my husbandâ?Ts mare, Nora, to steady her
nerves. But, last week, after two weeks of no one to ride with, we ventured out. I had given some thought, â?oworriedâ?,   about where to go and how to
get her to relax and enjoy being with me.

We first rode around in a field close to our other Fjords and then went down the driveway away from our property. She became a little concerned but was a very good girl. After a couple of minutes of true bravery, I rewarded her by getting off and letting her nibble grass. (I do not want to create the habit
of her trying to nibble while we are riding, thatâ?Ts why I got off) We
continued on down the road and into another field. Every time she â?ofeltâ?
somewhat nervous but then relaxed, I jumped off and she nibbled. It was a
tricky balance. I didnâ?Tt want to jump off and reward her for acting
nervous.

This trail ride went on for more than an hour. I lengthened the amount of time between the nibble sessions and was amazed at what a wonderful time we had. We will definitely do this again. Maybe Iâ?Tll take treats with me while riding
in the woods.

Lee