-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bonnie
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2008 3:06 PM
To: fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com
Subject: fjord eating wood

This message is from: Bonnie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have a 5 year old gelding that is always getting into something.  He
chews wooden fence posts at ground level until they are compromised and
I have to replace them.  I have given him various branches, old fence
posts and hang plastic containers for him to play with.  He ignores them
all.  I bought him a ball and when he wouldn't play with it I put it in
his water trough.  He loves water but wouldn't touch the ball in there.
We had to put the water trough in the barn now because he destroyed 3
tank heaters last year.  We had the kind that sat at the bottom of the
tank and he would dunk his head all the way to the bottom and pull it
out!  We are lucky he didn't get hurt.  If the tank (and it's a big one)
is only half full he will drag it around and isn't happy unless its
dumped.  Or, he stands in it.  We thought we fixed him this summer - we
put the tank inside the barn with an opening for them to put their heads
in to drink.  He must be getting bored with the pasture because
yesterday he reached in and managed the dump the tank again!

I don't know how to keep this guy busy.  I like the idea of  putting a
large chunk of wood out there and putting molasses on it.  That might at
least get him interested in bothering that kind of wood.  Or, maybe a
water slide. . .

bonnie in WI