This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "M. Denmark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Can someone please help me figure out what the reference or name "Purdy"
> comes from as relating to fjords?  As you look up in the NFHR registration
> search there a numerous references in lineages to "Purdy mare".  Does Purdy
> mean something in Norwegian or what?
>   Milli Ann

The short version is that circa 1965, Robert Purdy (28 Ranch, Buffalo,
Wyoming) acquired several Fjords that had been imported from Norway in
the late 50's and early 60's.  He bred Fjords until about 1974.  After
his death, his herd was dispersed without adequate documentation.  (No
Fjord registries existed in the US until the late 70's.)  In some
cases, owners had hand-written pedigrees, or word-of-mouth ones; in
other cases, there were conflicting stories, or reconstructed
guess-timates of ages and pedigrees.  So, there were lots of what
everyone agreed were pure Fjords out there whose pedigrees were "well,
Purdy bred her, and I'm pretty sure Solvfast was her father, but we're
not sure which mare dropped that filly".  Hence the notation, "dam
unknown (Purdy mare)".

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon