From: owner-fjordho...@angus.mystery.com
[mailto:owner-fjordho...@angus.mystery.com] On Behalf Of kbatche...@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 6:15 AM
To: fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com
Subject: Re: Things to do when you can't ride

This message is from: kbatche...@aol.com

Robin--

You can definitely use clicker training with Fjords, but as with
everything,
you have to be thoughtful about what you teach because mine  will drive it
into the ground to activate the human treat dispenser.  We  taught our
coming
four year old Clyde to "turn away" from the treat to avoid  mugging.  Now,
most
mornings, he will approach me, make eye contact, touch  me gently with his
big
cow nose and start repeatedly swiveling his head more and  more vigorously
until he is almost swinging his hip into me.  WHY isn't  this dispenser
working?!  Actually endearing in a weird way...

My older guy, the cribber, is difficult to clicker train because after just

a couple of tasks/rewards he is scanning the horizon for a pillar or post to

crib upon.  That has been frustrating, but also fun to try to keep his
attention focused for longer and longer.  I have clicked him from the
saddle to
touch his nose to things that he fears, which has worked really  well.  When
he
starts to stiffen up on a trail ride, I give him a touch  command and he
uses
his left brain instead.  The only problem, again, is  that he tends to drive
it
into the ground.  When we ride down our street,  he will now weave from
mailbox to mailbox, touching each one with his nose and  then turning
expectantly
with his camel lips outstretched.

Kris in NC
with Monark, Kasper and Clyde
"If we do clicker training, does that mean you won't get on my back
today?!"