This message is from: PHILLIP Odden <n...@norskwoodworks.com>

This message is from Phillip Odden. We had lots of snow on Sunday but
now it is melting. Here is a little story to introduce the sleigh I
finally was able to drive for the first time last Sunday.

Norwegian Sunday Sleigh

Having spent lots of days in museums in Norway over the past thirty
five years I was always drawn to the ornately decorated sleighs
displayed there. Perhaps it was the era when these wonderful sleighs
were used that captured my imagination.  Eventually I completed
carving school in Norway, married a fine Norwegian woman who shared my
love of folk art, carving, painting and the like, and set up shop in
America. After many years of building a business and moving back to a
farm we acquired some fjord horses, not just a few but several.

When first I learned to drive horses I knew I needed a sleigh.
Eventually we ended up with several sleighs don’t you know. About the
same time we got our first Fjord I wanted to make a Sunday sleigh like
those I had seen in Norway. Most of the other sleighs I have made were
carved and some were carved extensively, but not like this one.
Finally this winter I finished the sleigh I had been dreaming about
for many years and today I hitched one of my own home bred fjord
ponies to it for the first time for a photo shoot.  My talented wife
Else directed the photo shoot and handled the cameras.

The day was perfect with warming temperatures above freezing, lots of
sun and nice snow. Odden’s Elinor Moegun, a five year old mare out of
highland Prairie Gunvor and sired by our stallion Smedsmo Gråen got
the nod to take the inaugural ride. We call the mare Sweet Pea. She is
doing very well though I have taken her training very slow. I wanted
her to develop well before I started her. She is a very quiet sensible
mare with tons of athletic ability. Sweat Pea is very well balanced
through the body with a well muscled hind quarter and fairly long
neck. She articulates her hocks very nicely allowing her to reach up
under and she has good reach with her front legs. This mare has a big
walk and a big trot. Sweet Pea is being trained single and in pairs
and she is fun to ride. I expect she will see some pleasure driving,
CDE, and sleigh rallies in her future.

The sleighs I saw in the museums in Norway were used for special
occasions like going to church or important social events. There was
room for one to sit in the sleigh and one could ride the runners
holding on to the handles at the back. I suppose, if needed on the
steep mountain roads, the person on the runners could easily hop off
and even push a little to give the horse some relief. I used my
Norwegian harness with padded hames and carved saddle today as well.

You can see pictures of the new sleigh, Sweet Pea and me on the snow
on our website
http://fjordhorses.norskwoodworks.com/horses/horsegallery.shtml