This message is from: katiewi...@aol.com

This is from Katie Andraski, Northern Illinois

Hi there,

What a warm group of people you are. I've been enjoying the digest for the
last few weeks and thought I should introduce myself. A year ago we were busy
renovating our farm house and wondering if we'd ever move in and live here. My
husband I both grew up on farms as kids but we never, ever thought we'd move
back to the country ever again. We both still shake our heads in wonder.
People would ask me if I'd have horses. I don't think so, I'd say. Sheep
maybe. I could learn to herd sheep with my Aussies. Horses have woven in and
out of my life since I was a baby. But I'd pretty much closed off the part of
myself that loved horses, since I sold Beau, my Arab Quarterhorse about
sixteen years ago. He'd been good for me, helping me over some grief. I'd
pretty much focused on showing my dogs-a couple Bernese Mountain Dogs and
Australian Shepherds. I've done conformation, draft with the berners, and
agility with the Aussies, with obedience tucked in around those other things.

But I was a goner when our neighbor walked her two quarterhorses down the road
and I stepped out to talk to her. Then came the Boone County Fair and
conversations with the halflinger and Fjord people. (By the way, the Boone
County Fair has a wonderful pony show and great premiums. Some halflinger
people said they went home with 700$ in premiums. It's the second week in
August. It seems to be a well run show.)
 I was referred to Patti Jo Walter who opened an extensive email conversation
with me about the horses. When I decided to drive up to visit her place, I
told her I wasn't going to buy but I wanted to ride a Fjord and learn more. I
was also pretty honest about how my last horse helped me with grief and I
needed a horse to help me get over the NIU shooting. I hadn't stopped crying
with the arrival of summer. What I liked about Patti is that she took me
seriously. As soon as I got on Tessa's back I felt a surge of confidence
coming up from her. We clicked right away. Well, I brought her home a month
later.

Another thing that is wonderful about working with Patti Jo is that she has
been there for me as I've worked my way back into horses and have been
learning how to manage a horse I tend to, which is different from when I was a
kid and different from boarding. She's taught me so much and has been there
for me. She's right when she says you make a friend for life. Well, it became
evident that Tessa needed a companion, so Patti offered her coming two year
old, Paske Morgan. She just arrived about two weeks ago. What a doll she is,
ambling over to visit, preferring my company to hay. She has been well
handled, so even though I have lots to learn about bringing along a young one,
I think I'll be able to manage. I feel a great responsibility to do right by
these horses for myself and the next person. We're blessed here in Northern
Illinois20with lots of choices for trainers, so I should find some good help.
My work with dogs has given me a good sense of how training should go.

Well, that's all I know. I'll go back to lurking and learning from you all.
Thank you again for your warm hospitality.

Blessings and all good things, Katie