This message is from: Martie Bolinski <boli...@dol.net>

I mix about 10-20% long staple wool with my Fjordy fur to help it felt. It works pretty good. I made 'cookie-cutter' Fjords for Christmas a couple years back. Had to paint on the stripes. I have the same problem with the Lhassa fur not wanting for felt (except on the dog if I con't keep her combed).

Martie in MD - where there is LOTS of Fjordy fur laying around for the taking.

Emily Wigley wrote:

This message is from: Emily Wigley <ewig...@mindspring.com>

Horse hair doesn't felt because it does not shrink. I think it doesn't shrink because it has no crimp in the hair shaft? As far as I know, only hair that has a crimp in it can felt. Horse coat hair is actually fur - it grows in to a certain length, then sheds seasonally.