This message is from: pedfjo...@aol.com

* recipe for chicken soup ?        ; )

     Sorry, couldnt resist that one, BUT,

Glad this topic is continuing about horses needing help when headed to either
slaughter, or the Rainbow Bridge if thats where your brain likes to draw the
line.

Good, stimulating comments from all " sides " and keep in mind that we are
all actually on ONE side of this topic, being horse lovers. There are
different
ways and reasons to sink the same boat, but its sinking right now, so keeping
dialog open for everyone is a good deal.

 One little thing.

Jen, while I agree with alot of your feelings and some of your post.....it is
not true that people here in the US do not eat horse meat. Well, they DID in
recent history. My mom is in her young 80's and remembers very well that for
several years, during World War 11, thats all the meat they could get. Most
Americans during that recent <enough> time did not raise horse's to eat, but
did
obtain it at the butcher shops when they had enough food ration stamps for
things like sugar, milk and meat.

In Europe with the mad cow disease, it only made the horse meat market gain
alot of favor with the UK and others not being able to obtain beef for awhile.
( not sure about it now )

In times of depression and war, horses are eaten. Even here. In recent
history. The impression of people avoiding horse meat because of its " special
place
in developing the nation " is simply not true. In fact....when armys marched
through N. Europe, they confiscated and ate all of the horses they didnt need
to pull something. Rumor has it that the Fjords survived THAT soup pot, due to
their " tough " chew factor. <g>

                                        Lisa