This message is from: Karen Keith <kkke...@hotmail.com>

Gee, it's a good thing the Morgan breeders didn't cop an anti-import attitude
back in the 50s when the first Fjords were coming to America.  I can see the
Morgan people saying, "Hey, whaddaya need a European all-purpose horse for
when we've got the American equivalent right here," at least if you believe
the Marguerite Henry "Justin Morgan Had a Horse" story.

> It occurs to me, from this piece that you have shared, that the most
> comprehensive
> control of this infectious disease is to STOP European importation, is that
> not correct?
>
> After all, every Fjord horse on the planet has an indisputably common
> ancestry.

Therefore, one Fjord is the same as the next, I guess.

> So with that in mind it makes me
>wonder why one would buy young unproven stock from another country?
>When we have plenty to sell here in our own country? I can understand
>buying a licensed proven breeding animal that is used to improve the
>current stock, but if I were to buy young stock I would also like to
>see the my fellow breeders gain from it and keep some of the profits in
>the USA.

Why would one buy from another country?  Because it's a free market, we have
free choice in the US.  God Bless America.  You would choose to buy young
stock here; I chose to buy young stock overseas.  Is this a great country or
what?  BTW, since keeping the profits in the USA is noted as a goal, I suppose
buying young, unproven stock from a Canadian breeder would be verboten as
well.  Ouch-ka-bibble!  Not very neighborly.

Do I seem a bit tetchy on this subject?  You betcha.  It comes along as I am
anxiously awaiting the arrival of my young, unproven European stock.

BTW, untrimmed posts don't bother me, so you won't see me cranky about that.

Karen in Northern Virginia, still doing the Snoopy happy dance in anticipation
of the new arrival.  Just a few days left.