This message is from: Steve McIlree <st...@carriagehorse.com>

Cynthia Madden wrote:

I keep and eye on their weight and adjust as needed...

I'd like to point out here that a weight tape is good for this purpose. Although getting an accurate weight using a tape is debatable, if one is used on a consistent basis it is a very good indicator of weight gain or loss. A good regimen while finding the ideal amount of hay to feed would perhaps be to check the horses' weight once a week. When you have the ideal amount of a given load of hay to maintain weight for each horse, you could probably cut back on the weigh-ins to once or twice a month so long as you do it on a regular schedule.

 --
Steve