This message is from: "Big Horn Forge Daniel Nauman" <trap...@alexssa.net>

I need your help !

Yesterday, my Vet came out to give the horses and dogs their spring shots.  The
last few years she has had a "handler" with her on all her calls.  I realize,
from my Vet's point of view, that the handler is there to help keep her safe;
and that most owners, while meaning well, can be a big hinderance.  If I were a
Vet, I would be on Red Alert at all times when it came to safety.  So, with
that said, I need your advice.

My 9yo Fjord started acting up about two years ago for his shots.  I believe it
was the first time the handler held my horse.  I asked the Vet if I could
"hold" him for her and she basically said "no", she now had a handler for that.
 (I know she has been injured because of well meaning owners.)   The handler is
rather pushy (my opinion).  I became a passive observer, and more than a little
irritated at how my horse was handled.  I suggested that the handler (a woman
also) not hold his head so tight.  The horse was afraid, and I could tell, was
ready to "get out of Dodge".  He tolerated the handling and stood very stiff.
Any suggestions I had fell on "deaf ears".

Last year the handler "remembered" that my horse was "hard to hold" and put a
chain over his nose.  Things got worse.  My fjord pushed past both of them and
ran out into the pasture.  When he saw me, he ran up to me.  I collected him
and returned him to the barn alley.  My Vet and handler decided to give the
shots in his stall, and had to use quite a bit of pressure.  I protested once
more and got a look that said "don't to go there".

Yesterday, the Vet and handler immediately put a chain over my horse's nose,
pushed him up against the back wall of his stall, and went right for his rump.
I thought my horse's eyes were going to jump out of his head.  (I had visions
of a "B" movie drug bust.)  BIG protest on my part.  I was told that the
handler was there to keep my Vet safe and was just doing her job.  I went into
the stall, picked up on the lead rope, asked my horse for his shoulder over,
and reluctantly and fearfully got it.  It lasted little longer than 2 seconds.
I was hoping to build on that, but that would take time, and time is what my
Vet evidently didn't have.  The coggins test was last.  My horse stood like a
gentleman, very relaxed, head lowered.  He didn't seem to mind at all.  The Vet
was really surprised, and mentioned the behavior.

After the whole ordeal, while my Vet was packing up, I asked her if their was
anything I could do to help with this situation.  I explained that I wanted my
horse to stand on a loose lead while getting his shots.  (Like in the past)  My
Vet said try feeding grain while he is getting vaccinated.  My heart sank.

I truly believe that the shots are not the issue.  The handling is so rough and
scares my horse so much, that pretty soon, no one will be able to get near him
with a needle.  I have used this Vet for 18 years, and have not had these
problems in the past.  Switching Vets is not really an option because of where
I live.  I really want to retain this Vet, and mend any problems.

If anyone has any experience or advice for me on what I can do from a training
point of view, or a Vet's point of view, I would love to hear it.  I have
decided to work with the horse and talk to my Vet about working with me when
she comes to give the boosters.  I'm hoping we can cooperate with each other
for everyone's benefit.  If my needs are ignored, I will have to find a
different Vet.  But, there aren't many available, and I don't want to go from
one problem to another.

I won't even get into talking about the other horse or the dogs.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give,

Toni (and Erick, her Fjord, who thinks the Vet is out to kill him)  :(