This message is from: brass-ring-f...@juno.com

        These muzzles sound easy, but my experience has been otherwise. I
have one that clips to the halter and has a hole in the bottom. When I
tried it years ago on our Morgan, he did not object, just stood around
with his head down, his whole attitude saying - "Go ahead, just shoot me
now, much more preferable to this torture." He would not try, would not
even move. This went on for 3 days, with time to eat and drink (he would
not even try with the muzzle on) with it removed. Then I gave up. He won.
He was managed by being turned out in the ring, which was not his
preference but he tolerated much better than the despondence while
muzzled.
        This spring we tried it on our drafty Fjord mare. She had a
different and more violent reaction, throwing herself into fence posts
and trees, not trying to tolerate it at all. Normally she is very calm,
except when she isn't, and this was one of those times and very scary.
Since we were trying to save her feet, I had to get it off her and again
have managed her by dry lotting.
        So I have to say I don't think muzzles work for everyone, but
they do for a lot of horses. I guess this does not help you much, but if
he is drinking with it on, I would quit watching him. I often find I am
the problem, and if I go away and get busy doing something else, the
horses survive. Didn't work for me with the muzzle though.
        Valerie
        Columbia, CT