This message is from: pedfjo...@aol.com

   After following this thread for a bit now, and finding nothing but
compassion for Carol and Arthur's tough day having decided to put down their
grand stallion, Gjest, it is almost impossible for me to read posts making rude
and nasty comments about their situation.

Jeff and I had to also make a very tough choice with a beloved mare with a
( barely ) 3 month foal at her side. The grief and guilt is almost
overpowering. If I had someone actually stand in front of me and make similar
comments that have been made on the safety of the Internet, I can assure that
the
conversation would have ended behind the barn. Just saying.

A good horse ( dog, cat ect. ) owner is someone who puts aside their own
feelings, and makes the tough choices for their critters and NOT selfish
personal ones for themselves and the need to prolong life at the cost of their
animal's comfort.

A good horse owner is someone who allows an inevitable death in a state of
relative health and pain free existance if possible.

A good horse owner loves their animal enough to allow a passing without the
horrible ending of either starving to death, slowly, or downed for the last
time from failing organs and joints.

A bad owner allows their own FEELINGS to dictate their animals suffering
and prolonging of the inevitable course.

A bad owner makes judgements on someone elses decision to allow a planned
and drama free, home based end of life with loving owners and friends all
around.

People who have not owned and loved a horse as long as they did Gjest.....

People who have never met the horse and / or the owners....

People who second guess, make assumptions and take nasty to a new level
about others choices need to keep those opinions to themselves. Sitting in the
safety and comfort of your computer room vomiting hateful comments is pretty
easy. And also pretty chicken shit.

Free speech does not need to hurt and name call. I have also noticed that
those few making the most offensive comments about taking  "care of them in
their declining years " , or even the unreal comment of the " killing " of
this much loved stallion, do not, themselves own registered Fjords.

Are not members of the NFHR.

Have zero to do with the promotion of the breed.

Do not attend Fjord meetings or events.

Do not participate in breed shows.

Do not choose to support our breed with either their dollars or votes or
participation in any Fjord based anything except these list forums, then only
offer, not condolences, but mean spirited unnessessary hurtful spew.

Yes, shame on you. I hope that whenever your horse's time comes to make a
tough choice like this.....that you find more support and kindness, even if
just shutting it, here, than you decided to toss out.

Lisa