This message is from: "plumg...@pon.net" <plumg...@pon.net>

I have "killed" two dogs.  In both cases, I did it
too late, after the animals were suffering (which I
was only able to admit after the fact).

I have also walked a colicking horse until she fell
down and died.  A beautiful, gorgeous, young Fjord
mare.  I have never seen another with as beautiful a
trot, as beautiful a head....she was an Anvil's Acres
horse and her breeder has also told me that she was
just special.  She had a twisted gut.  We tried to
get vet help, but we were in a very small rural area
where emergency help was an hour away.  We paid $400
 to the vet to come out on a holiday weekend, twice.
He was not a competent horse vet and was unable to
tube her and really did no examination.  We were
given some drugs and left to our own devices in a
vacation area we were visiting (LIKE NOVA SCOTIA!) We
walked her all night in the freezing cold, on a
gravel driveway.  She was throwing herself down.  I
whipped her mercilessly to get her up,  on the idea
that rolling is not a good idea.  We put a fly mask
on her to keep her from scratching her eyes when she
went down...in agony.  In desperation we went to the
farm family that was hosting us and asked for a gun
and ammunition to shoot her if we felt we needed to.
 They complied, and showed us how to aim correctly so
as not to miss her brain.  We never did shoot her.
Eventually, I now know, her gut broke,and the pain
was relieved.  At about 4 AM she put her head on my
husband's arm and pulled him away from the other
horses. He followed her with the lead.  She headed
toward an arena she had been in and dropped.  Then
she got up again and went down again and started her
death throes. We had already called the incompetent
vet again to try to get help.  He arrived a few
minutes after she died, so we had him do an autopsy.
 Big portions of her intestines were clearly dead.
During the course of the ordeal, I called our home
vet in desperation, he did not get enough information
from me to tell me to just get her to a vet
clinic...and besides....the clinic was hours away.
I e-mailed the Fjord list in the middle of the night,
and got support from the early risers on the east
coast....and condolences from Karen McCarthy later on
the west.

I say all this because  it is clear that Jen has
absolutely no idea what can happen to a horse in a
rural area.  My horse died in agony.  Gjest was at
risk of that.  On another list, one of the caring
moderators just lost a horse to a twisted gut...the
same way.  No vet help could come fast enough to
spare the horse.

I am 62 years old and have seen a fair amount of
death.  I nursed my mother through 7 1/2 years of
dementia, and then cared for her after she had a
major disabling stroke.  We gave her no food and
water after the first days in the hospital(she could
take neither by mouth...and they kicked her out of
the hospital as soon as we said we did not want her
intubated. ).  We had to turn her every four hours to
prevent bed sores, at which time she screamed in
pain....I presume from the muscle contracture of the
stroke.  We did that every four hours for 13 days
until she died.

Once you have seen some of these things, you
recognize that a "loss of spirit" is the beginning of
the end, and it is time to take action to spare your
loved one.  In the case of my mother, I could not do
it legally, and just did not have the courage anyway.
 But I can do it for a horse.  Jen...when you have
nursed a few people and animals through their deaths,
come back and make your accusations again.

Gail Russell

 I say: don't
kill an animal now for the reason that euthenising it
later may be a
hardship on you.
Enough.