This message is from: "Green Valley Farm" <sop...@greenvalleyfarm.com>

 Hello Everyone,

I am currently not at my computer, so have not been able to reply to this
thread via our Starfire e-mail. Sophie Fiedler has agreed to help me with
getting my thoughts out to you all. Here goes:
This is part of the text of the Breed Standard:

Traditionally, the most common and desirable markings found on Fjords are:

1. Primitive markings:

. Small brown marks over the eyes and on the checks and thighs.

. Dark horizontal stripes on the legs, especially the forelegs.

. Can have one or more dark stripes over withers, very seldom seen.

2. Dark ear outlines and tips.

3. Darker mid-section in the forelock, mane and tail.

4. A full-length, darker dorsal stripe.

5. Some "feathering" on the legs, but not profuse.

6. Dark hoof color; may range to amber in red and yellow dun horses. Some
striping may occur.

7. All of the accepted Fjord horse colors and their variations must be kept.
AVOID MARKINGS THAT ARE NOT TYPICAL FOR THE BREED. (Caps mine) A small star is
acceptable.

Lisa wrote:

>"White is right," as long as it is within the confines of the Fjord Horse
>STANDARD which allows, "a small star." It does NOT state "undesireable, but
>says "acceptable," and that makes it "right."

Just because it says that a small star is acceptable does not mean that it is
desireable. Though they are found in this breed, white markings are not
desireable. I also don't think that it is appropriate to call it a "dirty
little secret" though there have been breeders who have been less than frank
about the origins, type of and probablility of progeny having white markings.

Ruthie wrote:
>In any case, I am not aware that it is a negative ("dirty") attribute,
>although it could be considered a slight risk factor in breeding strategies
by
>some.

Exactly

>Say, if you consistently bred two stars together, etc. the stars might
>incrementally develop into suns, hah.

>More than likely, many (white) star-less Fjords are in truth 'star' bearers
>(carriers) and would produce 'starlets' (hmmm) were they mated with a
>'star-crossed' one.. hah.

>Funny...but true...;-)

There is a genetic researcher in either Sweden or Switzerland (I can't
remember which country) who is conducting research regarding the genetic
markers that identify white markings in horses. It is believed that these
genetic markers are separate from coat color genetic(meaning the genetics that
give the bays, chestnuts, even pintos and paint coat markings). Please forgive
my layman language, Ruthie.

I think the real problem lies in individuals that are producing white hooves
and (especially) socks and stockings.

>Each time a particular bloodline strand is plucked (culled) from the gene
pool
>through deliberate choices for superficial reasons, (a narrowed desireable
>type, colors, etc) there is an incremental diminishment of genetic
>diversity--

I think this study might be beneficial in identifying individuals that might
be propogating white markings, but perhaps it would not be necessary to delete
an entire bloodline from a breeding program.

>Recently, I saw where someone boasted that Fjord type was intensifying

I don't know what itensifying means, but I do know what I like to see in Fjord
Type, whether the horse be of a light build, medium or draft build.

>"Cookie cutter" Fjords is a genetic nightmare.

Agreed.

By the way, I think that if a horse displays a few white hairs in an area
where one would generally find a white star (unless the white hair has been
caused by injury) one can assume that the horse carries the genetics for
producing white stars in its progeny.

Beth

Colorado