This message is from: "igs4me tds.net" <igs...@tds.net>

Re lunging, someone wrote:
"So what is the big deal if a horse learns that stepping on the thing
attached to his head means stop or move it's foot off."
I don't think it is a problem if the horse is calm and relaxed. It becomes a
problem if something spooks the horse. That happened here in WI last summer
- someone I know was walking her gelding with a bridle and lead rope down a
lane that they had been down many times before and something scared him.
They think it was a coyote in the bushes. Anyway, he freaked and bolted,
pulling the lead rope out of her hand. As he tore back to the barn, he
stepped on the lead rope and broke his neck. He was dead before he hit the
ground. It was really horrifying. THAT is why people are so careful about
lead ropes.
Julie in Madison