This message is from: "Debby" <miss.am...@earthlink.net>

I don't leave mine out in any kind of rain or storms.  But mine are stalled at
night, I have one that doesn't like the skeeters.  Mine are use to this, they
have their regular routine/schedule.  Out early a.m. (if weather permits) and
in by 10am.  But I do have runs, no climb fence, to keep dogs out, and they
can be out there until it gets too hot for ME!  Then I have them in.  I just
haven't any trees in their runs, and with "mom" having cushings, though I clip
her, even the short hair is so thick.  I must admit to spoiling them with
timed misters in the afternoons.  But I'm out there working and mucking and
grooming, and the misters are a big comfort to me too.
I do allow them out in the evening, until close to 10pm, and then they are
closed in, but they have extended roofs that are enclosed halfwalls, behind
their stalls and they are allowed out there.
I've seen horses just left to fend in bad weather outside, especially the
older ones that are retired and not used anymore.  Longer coats have a harder
time drying out, they develope rain rot.  But I have seen horses in terrible
terrible stall conditions, never mucked, standing in months of muck.  One barn
owner calls it "Gods" gift, its natural and she just turns it over to allow
the wet spots some air.  I can tell you it was not a pleasant place.  She hung
the fly "catchers", the stinky yellow things, right outside the stalls.  Yes,
they attracted alot of flies...right outside ones stall.  So one had to deal
with flies being drawn to this stinky smelly stuff.  I found it all strange.
I've seen that those with run in sheds who keep theirs out, most times one or
a few of them will not be allowed in the shed.  I'm not a believer in pecking
order between horses.  One thing if they are out on many many acres, but we
put them in small paddocks and turnouts, and it can be quite dangerous.  Vet
bills are high enough that I don't need to add.
Just do right by the horses, whatever you choose for them.  Keep them safe and
fed and clean, check their feet everyday and check them everyday for weight,
whether too thin or too much weight.
FWIW, my older mare is afraid of lightning and thunder, to the point of
shaking, so its not an issue for me, she gets closed in and she feels safer,
and yes, so do I.  So what!  : )
Debby in TX