This message is from: PHILLIP Odden <n...@norskwoodworks.com>

This message is from Phillip Odden in Northwestern Wisconsin where summer is beginning to move towards fall.

Well over a year ago I became aware that we were being considered by the American Driving Society to demonstrate at the World Equestrian Games to be held this fall in Lexington Kentucky. They wanted me to drive my pair of Fjords in a Driving Derby and for a Pleasure Driving demonstration called Pleasure Driving 101. This spring we were encouraged to get our horses qualified with the extensive Veterinary requirements of the WEG. Information has been painfully slow in coming regarding times and venues for our demonstration. Finally we were told to submit applications for Homeland Security so we would be allowed to enter the Equine Village. It turns out that security will be very tight for the event with lots of people from foreign countries in attendance.

Recently we received information regarding the venues and times for the Driving Derby demonstration. The driving derby will consist of two hazards located at opposite ends of the driving arena. The competitor will drive into the arena and race down to the far end and drive through several gates in order as fast as he can, then race down to the other end to do that hazard, return to the far end and do that hazard again then return to the near end to complete two goes at each hazard and then finish. Howard Fiedler will be navigating for me to help keep the dusty side down on our marathon carriage.

As of now, the schedule is :

Sunday, October 3 demo at 6:00 p.m.

Monday, October 4 demo at 2:00 p.m.

Tuesday, October 5 demo at 4:30 p.m.

Weds, October 6 demo at 10:00 am

These demos will take place at the Equine Village large arena.

 At this point, our participants are :

Phil Odden, with a pair of Fjords
Mary Ruth Marks with a single horse
Meghan Benge with a pair of ponies
Randy Cadwell with a pair of ponies
Melissa Boyd with a single horse
Jeff Morse with a single horse

I still do not have the information for the Pleasure Driving demonstrations, though I just contacted Andy Marcoux this morning and he indicated that he is still planning to do the demonstrations but does not know when or where it will take place. I will post that information when I receive it for those who plan to attend the WEG. My understanding is that there are still rooms available and tickets available to attend the WEG. This is the first time this event has been held in North America to my understanding and it is truly a World Class event. Quite possibly ours will be the only Fjords there. You can bet we will have them polished and trimmed as best we can.

Looking forward to the World Equestrian Games,

Phil Odden