This message is from: "Dave and Patti Walter" <dwal...@tm.net>

Thought I'd give my 2 cents worth on the topic of "lots of fjords for sale".
I would agree with Deb Ulrich, Fjords are still selling and for a good
price. The market is soft, folks are VERY careful about spending any extra
money but a good horse will always sell and in the Fjord World, there are
MANY good horses. Now, young ones, untrained ones, problem ones, out of
shape, not in good condition or training won't sell well and won't sell for
top dollar. A top dollar horse has to be in top condition, that it is
physically in top condition plus in its training.  It must also have a good
pedigree, good movement and good disposition, anything lacking and it won't
get top dollar. Also, sorry to say it, but many DON'T know how to market
their horse.  AND, I hate to say it, but there are poor quality Fjords out
there. Not as many as good ones, but there are those that breed anything and
everything and then don't take care for them in quality feed and quality
training.

Also, another thing I would say that I disagree with you on is, "there is
NOT a lot of Fjords out there for sale".  If you are looking for a specific
Fjord, one that has a bit more training and need a few characteristics met
it's gona be hard to find.  Or if you are looking for a certain
color/age/gender it is harder to find. The more you have specifics, the
narrower your list of available Fjords are.  A good trained Fjord will sell!
And probably quickly.

We are still a VERY rare breed, we have not changed in numbers a whole lot
over the last 10 yrs. I got into Fjords in '94 and what I see is the buyers
now is REALLY careful about buying.  15 yrs ago, all you had to do was have
a Fjord for sale and it was sold, now.. Buyers are smarter and comparative
shop a lot more. They realize not every Fjord is a good one and they want a
good one. I say , "GOOD FOR THEM".  This might help some folks think twice
before they breed.  The GOOD breeders should still be breeding, or we will
have a shortage in 4-5 yrs. But, we need ONLY good Fjords!

Pretty condensed reply, but I have to get going and just wanted to toss out
my 2 cents on the subject. I have sold 18 this year, last 3 yrs I have sold
23-25 each year. So, yes numbers are down but also folks did not send me as
many horses to sell for them.  Those owners who did, were very happy, the
horses sold, Folks are still looking.  I KNOW if I would have gotten more
good Fjords in on consignment they would have sold.

Patti Jo Walter

Francis Creek Fjords

Two Rivers WI