This message is from: "mdenmark" <mdenm...@sbcglobal.net>

I’m replying  to this fjordhorse digest message:

“Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 03:00:37 +0000

From: Debbie LeBreton <tippiegi...@hotmail.com>

Subject: RE: Sarcoid Treatment

This message is from: Debbie LeBreton <tippiegi...@hotmail.com> hello and I
am sorry for using your email but I am grasping for answer for my old horse.
He has brown or light colour water coming out of his bum.  My vet thinks
that it is oylser but he has been on the medication for over 7 days and no
change.  I have been thinking of putting him down but if there is hope out
there for him, I will try it.  He is 27 or that is what I have been told.
He looks much younger.

He still plays and runs and bucks up a storm.  He has a little goat as a
friend and he still chases him around when he is feeling frisky (which is
every second day).  Even with this problem.  PLEASE TELL ME YOUR THOUGHTS.

Debbie”

Oylser???...did you mean ulcers?  Ulcers don’t usually lead to hot water
diarrhea. Try giving your horse ¼ cup of Sugar Free Metamucil or Equate, the
knock off brand from Wal-Mart, (most love the SugarFree orange flavor...some
like the plain) two times per day mixed into their feed.  Make sure that
there is plenty of fresh water available.  This generally is a problem with
absorption in the cecum of the left over water in their colon and not
related to stomach acid or digestion.  You probably have found that there is
no burning where it dribbles out the rear end.  As horses age this can
become a chronic problem.  The Metamucil can help a lot and can be given
indefinitely.  If it seems to help, which can take a bit meaning months to
clear up if it is going to do so, then you might even be able to go down to
once per day.  But be patient and don’t rush...it takes us a while to get
old and have problems...will take us a while to get better. The worst
problem with this is that you may have a horse with an orange mustache when
he goes to kiss you.  If he eats on sandy soil this is also a good way to
clear very irritating sand from his gut.  Have you taken a sample to the vet
to check for parasites?   Good luck with this.  This is the cheapest and
most effective help for this problem so far.  I hope it is not from a more
serious problem so keep an eye on him.

Milli Ann

TX where the fjordie hair is starting to fly in spite of the freezing temps