From: owner-fjordho...@angus.mystery.com
[mailto:owner-fjordho...@angus.mystery.com] On Behalf Of Alice MacGillivray
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2011 7:20 PM
To: fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com
Subject: Setting up a paddock

This message is from: Alice MacGillivray <al...@4km.net>

I'm setting up a small paddock area for the arrival of my fjord
(yeah!) in a few weeks. We just moved to a property that can
accommodate a loafing shed and small paddock. We're on a Canadian Gulf
Island (similar climate and vegetation to the San Juan Islands in the
Pacific Northwest). We get very little snow, lots of rain in winter
and dry, mild summers.

I would really value advice on how best to set up the paddock. I have
lots of info about fencing. Mud is an issue here (I plan to put some
gravel in at least part of the paddock, but it isn't easy on the
property to get in with equipment so some of the work will be hand
work).

The questions I know I have are around vegetation. We don't know the
property well as we just moved here and have not had a year in which
to see what grows. Will a fjord have any common sense about what to
eat or not eat (assuming she has good hay etc.)? I can try to remove
all plants, or all plants I know are toxic (such as an introduced
buttercup that grows all over here), but plants thrive in this
climate, and I can't imagine keeping totally ahead of a grazing
animal.  To complicate the situation, the property had a lot of flower
gardening many years ago, so we're not just dealing with native trees,
shrubs and herbs (which I know pretty well). I saw lots of daffodils
sprouting up on my walk of the property today.

I will be talking to the local horse vet. But I expect that some of
you have dealt with similar situations, regardless of whether you live
near here or not?

Apologies for the cross-posting in two listservs, and thank you in
advance.

Alice MacGillivray