This message is from: Jessica Reuterskiold <ponygirl4l...@yahoo.com>

I have not posted on the list in awhile, so I thought I would share a new
experience for me this year.  I have been showing horses at open shows and
such for about 20 years (I started when I was 10)!  In the past couple of
year, I just recently added driving to my list of skills.  It is not my most
favorite thing to do, but I am becoming more comfortable and confident.  This
past year, a good friend of our family and fellow Fjord lover, Pat Holland,
convinced my family and I that we should try some ADS shows.  We were hesitant
at first because we weren't sure if we would "fit" in.  My step dad has been
driving horses for years and I had been showing for years, so we thought we
could make it work!  :)  Last year we went and watched classes at the Columbus
Carriage Classic in Columbus, WI.  It looked like a nice show and it looked
like we could fit in with this new crowd.  I also knew of an ADS show that is
hosted in Hampshire, IL by the Fox
 Valley Saddle Associate, so I made sure I had that information for this
year.

It worked out that the Fox Valley show would be our first attempt at ADS
showing.  My parents got our cart all refinished (they did this all on their
own) and I got the horse (Wood's Kandi) ready (I work full time and am working
on my Master's degree online)- our time was limited.  Off we went to Hampshire
with some hesitation, but excited about this new adventure.  We arrived at Fox
Valley and were immediately impressed with the facility and show management.
Kudos to Julie Kneip (www.fvsa.org) and her crew for putting on a fabulous
show!  Kandi and I competed in the Novice Whip division and Tyler competed
with her in the maiden pony division.  We experienced great success; earned 3
blue ribbons and the Novice Whip Division Championship!  Tyler only did the
rail classes so we would not wear out Kandi at her first show!  This success
also made Kandi and I move straight up to the open division.

Our next adventure, was the Columbus Horse and Carriage Festival this past
weekend.  Another kudos goes out to Rebecca Reminich and her crew for putting
on an awesome show!  This was another great venue.  Kandi and I competed in
the Large Pony division while Tyler did the Novice Whip division.  This time
we both did all the classes for each division.  This put Kandi in 12 classes
total.  We did 8 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday.  This is not a common situation
from what I am aware of at ADS shows. Typically one division is plenty for one
horse to do at a show.  Kandi is a super pony, so she was up to the
challenge!  She came through with flying colors as usual.  Kandi and Tyler
were Novice Whip division champions (one blue ribbon in the large novice whip
working class)!  Kandi and I were third in our division, but only missed
reserve by a few points.  We were neck and neck with Dr. Joan Kempros and what
a great honor that was!  Sam Poirer was
 the Large Pony Division champion with Green Valley Farm's beautiful stallion
Hershey.

All and all it was another great experience.  The competitors were very
friendly and helpful.  This is not what we had imagined our experience to be
like.  I would encourage anyone who is sitting on the fence about trying ADS
to jump off and dive in!  Go to a smaller show like Fox Valley and learn the
ropes.  Columbus also was a great atmosphere for a newcomer.  The next one to
try is the Villa Louis Carriage Classic (www.carriageclassic.com) in Prarie du
Chien, WI in September.  We have our sights set on that for our next
adventure.

As the owner and driver of Wood's Kandi, I cannot be any prouder!  She truly
exemplifies what a Fjord is and represents the breed well everywhere she
goes.  What many don't realize is that this whole experience has been a family
affair.  I have done the core training of Kandi while my step dad has helped
with the driving aspect.  We bought a used cart and refinished it to a new
look.  My mom has helped make our outfits suitable and fashionable.  :)  My
husband is the photographer.  We all are a small pieces to the big puzzle.

We can all be truly proud of our accomplishments and have true satisfication
that we did it ourselves!  We may not have the fancy expensive carriage or
pony, but we have family and that is what is most important. We have had this
great experience because we have worked hard together!  It is not just one
person who gets all of the credit.  We each played an equal part and can be
proud!

Don't be afraid to try something new!  Who knows where it can lead you!

Hug your Fjords and be proud to own such a wonderful animal!  :)

Happy Fjording!
Jessica Reuterskiold
Janesville, WI
(part of the Lazy Valley Ranch crew)