This message is from: "Jim Barnhart" <jb...@sleepyeyetel.net>

For some reason I didn't see your original e-mail.  The text only has 'IB'
in it, everything else is blank.  But I gather you are having a hard time
getting your Cushings horse to take it's pill?

We have Ranec, a 23 yr old fjord who was diagnosed with Cushings about 3
years ago.  He's been on peroglide the whole time.  We started with the pill
and had a terrible time.  We tried applesauce, crushing it, molasses, beer
(we had a gypsy horse that liked his bute in beer before we had to put him
down).  Nothing worked short of a pill pusher.  We would push the pill into
the back of his throat and he'd swallow it.  He hated it.

About 2 years ago we switched to Pergolide Mesylate 1 mg/5cc scoop Granules
100 Scoop Alfalfa.  We get this from Wedgewood pharmacy (on-line at
http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/).  We put his scoop each day into some
safechoice grain and he gobbles it up.  We need to give him grain to keep
his weight up.  Since then we've had no issues.

We just did his yearly tests a couple months ago.  He is the picture of
health.  His weight is good, his coat shed very well this spring.  We ride
him but watch the hot weather and make sure he doesn't overheat.  He's never
had any hoof/laminitis issues.

I also got on the Yahoo! Website, but was quickly overwhelmed there and
decided to just trust my vet and make sure we are testing regularly.

If you have any more questions, feel free to send me a personal e-mail.
I'll help in any way I can.

Jim Barnhart (jb...@sleepyeyetel.net)