This message is from: Robin Churchill <rbc...@yahoo.com>

Well, I don't want my fjord to be as lean as an Arab or Thoroughbred that
someone mentioned but because they tend to be easy keepers and can really get
fat, I am trying to do all I can to keep the horse fit. I think it is easier to
keep it under control than to let them get fat and then have to take the weight
off or have them get laminitis or some other weight associated problem. I have
been weight taping him every 1-2 weeks and he tapes about 900 # and is 14.2. I
ride him 4-6 days a week but because of the heat this time of year, I have to
kind of take it easy. I think being fat isn't generally good for anyone unless
maybe you are a grizzly bear getting ready for hibernation. I think with these
kind of horses, it can be difficult to strike the balance of keeping them at an
appropriate weight without them acting like they are dying of starvation.
Luckily my pasture is not very nutritious so it is hard for them to really get
fat on it alone.

Robin