This message is from: Gail Russell <g...@zeliga.com>

Hi Laurie,

Maybe you should consider doing a little clicker training with him while you
are off.  Five minute sessions are all you really need to do at a time, and you
can do several a day, which would likely not tax your physical abilities, and
will give Oz something to look forward to.

Here is a YouTube video of Debra Olsen Daniels and Magic.  She trained Magic
from the ground.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nFF0oIf_Jk

One thing you would have to do is be careful about his weight when choosing
treats.  There are some low starch hay stretcher pellets that are available in
your area that could be used as treats and could be used as a substitute for a
small amount of his ration., starting a regular program with him.  If you are
interested, I can try to find some other resources.

One clicker exercise that you could work up to is backing in circles in a
stall, which can build up horse muscles, even though it is a relatively quiet
activity.

If you are able to walk, the Loose Lead Walking/Why would You Leave involves
walking in a circle with the horse in self carriage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRDPVn5OXlk

Good luck with that knee surgery!  I am just months away from Medicare myself,
with a knee that keeps threatening.

Gail in Forestville/Cedarville California

what breaks my heart is not being able to ride for the next 6 months.
oz and i have been alternating being off all summer, and the heat was
too much for riding most of july. i am hoping friends will ride him
for me, and he can also be used for a lesson horse. he needs to lose
some weight (as well as me) but i haven't been able to put the hours
on him that he needs.