This message is from: "Debby" <debby.s...@earthlink.net>

I'd wondered about the soaking hay, for a horse with heaves. I do understand to soak it, get the dust off of it. I'd done that before, used a spray on the end of a hose, put a few flakes in and spray it and "wash" the hay pretty much. But why would you soak it for hours to get the dust off? I know that’s done to get the starch out, for ones with IR. But why for heaves. I'd not heard that this horse who's been diagnosed with heaves is IR too.

The other concern at this time of the year, soaking hay for several hours, the hay can turn rancid really quick. In the winter time, its not an issue, but with warmer weather, one has to be very careful with that. The one thing about soaking hay that I've noticed, one can tell if they have good hay or not, just by the color of the water. Green water, good hay, brown water, not so good.

And some horses will turn up there noses at water soaked hay, so have to watch that. I'd think the last thing this horse would need is to be stressed.
Just some thoughts.
Debby