This message is from: jern...@mosquitonet.com

OK,  Why do you keep them in  stalls?  My three Fjords have two large corrals,
open
at each end so they can use both, and I keep the three together...they will run
around the center fence and play and get a lot of exercise.  They have a run-in
shelter and I have a small barn with one stall where I feed the old mare Stella
her
mash.  But they don't stay in stalls 16 hours a day, even in the winter.  Why do
you keep yours in stalls in Texas?  When I did have the young mare separated in
the
pen with access to the stall all of the time, she would pee in the shavings in
the
stall in preference to outside on the ground where it would splatter her legs!
In
the winter this was a real problem as the frozen shavings and ice would build
up!

I used to put shavings in the run-in shelter too, but they would pee in there
too
with a build-up of frozen shaving in the winter, so I quit that.  If you keep
them
in stalls with a run-in why not have rubber mats in the stalls with no shavings
and
they would not pee in there.  Ask Lisa Pedersen how she Trains her fjords not to
pee or poop in the stalls...

Jean in rainy Fairbanks, Alaska......but there is no smoke from fires here!