This message is from: Julia Webb <jemw...@hotmail.com>

My area of interest during my Wildlife Biology studies was behavior among
larger predators.  You are quite right about the efficacy of shooting near
them, rather than at them.  At our "ranch" (can't call 35 acres a proper
ranch) in Colorado, we had 3 separate packs roaming the open rangeland around
our place.  Once I started putting the bullets in the dirt at their feet, they
became very wary and steered clear, the behavior changing from their
over-confident malingering in the early days.  With a very small amount of
time, they learned to swing wide of our place, and when they did come in, they
moved very quickly to cross it.   Another benefit was that keeping the coyotes
alive helped keep the plague-infested gopher population down.  All the best,
Julia

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because
of those who look on and do nothing." — Albert Einstein