From: Debby Stai
<debby.s...@earthlink.net>
To: fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com
Sent: Monday,
October 8, 2012 3:52 PM
Subject: buying unhandled horses

This message is
from: "Debby Stai" <debby.s...@earthlink.net>

I’ve not had many horses or
ponies in my life, but a variety of green to
“done”.  One can find many
4yr. olds that haven’t been ridden or
driven, but if handled a lot,
friendly, want to be around you, had feet done,
halter and tied, shots, you
can take your trainer of your choice to visit.
Groom them, pick their feet,
roundpen them to see how they move, check for
soundness.  Vet checks are very
important.
I’ve only purchased one pony that had just had a halter on him
and he was a
yearling, and he was a small pony, and he had a trusting nature
even though
he’d not been handled from birth.  But a yearling is most
likely much
different than 4 yr. olds that have not been handled at all, if
that is the
case Cindy is speaking of.
I’d think the roundpen would help a
lot, though I’m not a Parrelli
follower, nor Clinton Anderson, but did learn
some from watching them, and of
course John Lyons from years ago.
I can
sympathize with one wanting horses already started, if they are started
right.  I can also sympathize with a breeder not wanting to put training
money on youngsters, as they most likely will not get that money back when
selling.
But does seem to me that anyone breeding, any breed, would want to
spend time
with their youngsters, handle them, if their intent is to breed to
sell.
It does seem strange to have 4yr. olds that have no training, if that is
the
case.  Surely they’d have had shots and feet done?
Debby

Important
FjordHorse List Links:
FH-L