This message is from: Cindy B Giovanetti <cin...@ipi.org>

Cindy said:  <<Clicker training a pushy horse is not for the faint of
heart. The horse
will learn good manners if the human handles the "pushes" properly.
Clicker training in itself does not encourage pushy-ness or rudeness.  But
handler errors do.  And it seems to me that gentle natured people are the
ones most attracted to clicker training, and most likely to let the horse
get away with pushy-ness or rudeness.>>

Ulrike said:  <<What a statement.  it implies A, that gentle natured
people are  "faint of heart" and B that they are push
overs.I consider myself to be a gentle natured person and let me tell you
I am
far from both of these implications.>> Uli Schnabl,Chase BC>>

Cindy follows up:

That's not what I said or meant.  I said clicker training a pushy horse is
NOT for the faint of heart.  Gentle people, on the other hand, make
wonderful clicker trainers, and pushy horses do beautifully with clicker
training.  But a gentle person with a pushy horse may have to step outside
of their comfort zone at first (which takes courage -- not for the faint
of heart) to insist that the horse isn't allowed to push into her to get
the treats.  I'm speaking from experience here.  :)  That is why I
suggested the person in question contact the ClickRyder yahoo group for
advice on their specific situation.  I am a firm believer in positive
reinforcement.

Cindy